During the 15th and 16th century, the Cruanyes family built their home in the surroundings of Fanals d’Aro. In mid-18th century their properties spread throughout the entire district. This wealthy position enabled them to carry out important social work, such as the restoration and extension of the church of Santa Maria.
The structure, facade and interior layout of Mas Cruanyes, correspond to the classical architecture of the mansions of the Catalan rural area of Baix Empordà, although it has undergone different remodeling work over the centuries. In 1970, its owner provided the house with the current infrastructure and comforts, he had the swimming pool built and prepared the original design of the garden. His friendship with the sculptor Josep Mª Subirachs and his love of antiques led him to incorporate different sculptures into the garden and into the house itself. In this regard, the “Tribute to Priapus” monolith must be pointed out, made by Subirachs himself as well as the Romanesque tympanum built by master Bermudo Martin in 1173. This beautiful piece was added to the main façade of the house as a door lintel that leads to a 16th c. room. Which is connected to the old rooms of the lodge and used for many years as dining rooms. On the upper floor, around a central living room with a fireplace, are located the five main suites. At the end of the 80s, a well-known chef of the area extended the building to house the services of his restaurant and registered the old building, as a small luxurious hotel; to the well-known chain of Relais Chateaux.